Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Make it Real!

In the article "Constructing Learning: Using Technology to Support Teaching for Understanding," Thomas Sherman and Barbara Kurshan discuss the idea that in order for technology to be of real benefit in the classroom it can't just be thrown on top of content as a flashy extra; it must be integrated into teaching practices in an organic and meaningful way. To illustrate how this can be done the article lists eight characteristics of a good education according to constructivist theory. According to this way of thinking, high quality education is learner centered, interesting, applicable to real life, social, active, aware of time, inclusive of appropriate feedback and supportive. The article goes on to suggest ways that technology can be included to improve teaching in all of these areas and, hopefully, improve student performance and success.

The ideas suggested in this article are important because they reflect the need for technology that enhances, not distracts from, quality teaching practices and valuable content information. I know that many times during my schooling technology was added to classes as an afterthought or to fulfill a specific requirement. Often, if technology was used at all it was not at all vital to the lesson and probably could and should have been left out. This is especially troublesome when you start to think about how integrated technology is into our daily lives. There are probably many high schoolers who use technology regularly everywhere except in school, and the fact that this built in teaching tool is so often ignored or misused is a cause for concern.

Although I am comfortable using computers and my cell phone, I would definitely not say that I am completely up to date with technology and I know that my future students will most likely be much more proficient at using technology than I am. Therefore, it will be even more vital that I include technology in an organic and meaningful way in my lessons. I strongly believe in the importance of the previously discussed eight characteristics of good education and it excites me to know that I can incorporate technology into these teaching practices. For me and other new teachers, the key to reaching our students will be not creating an entirely new format for teaching technology, but using technology in ways that make the good techniques we already know even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment